Wednesday, February 26, 2014

London / Milan Fashion Week Beauty Trends: Mascara-free Makeup Look

What am I hearing? Are we ditching mascara next spring?

I am a big dreamer, and among other dreams of mine, sitting front (or second, or any) row at New York, London, Milan and Paris fashion weeks is probably the biggest. But until then, I closely follow the shows online (you can watch Paris Fashion Week here, how cool is that) from the coziness of my bed.

If you do watch the shows, you already know that a few exciting trends were making their debut on and off the catwalks at the different fashion weeks: fur, patchwork-like details, biker jackets, but also mid-length skirts and shorter heels (yay for our feet).
I am not one to follow trends to the letter; I believe in unique style and wearing whatever makes you feel great and comfortable. But one major trend actually caught my eye and made me want to try it out. It wasn’t related to clothing, but to beauty.
Have you noticed too? Mascara, the one element that we all thought was irreplaceable, was not  part of the beauty looks during most shows, especially in London and Milan.

My first thought when I read about this new beauty trick was: but how do you make it work? But after going through a lot  of Instagram backstage photos and actually seeing the models faces, I was – pleasantly – surprised to see that going mascara-free wasn’t that cray-cray. It actually gave a very fresh touch to the faces, on every skin tone (yay for us chocolate gals).

Many looks were almost completely neutral, with a splash of colored eye-shadow for some, lots of highlighting and contouring, thick eyebrows and bold lippies in Milan. There the trend was the same for most fashion maisons, except for Prada who went for, well, the opposite. Interesting.

I had to try, so I went mascara-free with several colors and a neutral face as you can see down below, and I must say I kind of love it! What do you guys think? Yay or nay? Which look do you like best?
And would YOU rock the look?

Neutral face: "No Makeup" makeup look


Sephora Concealer*
MAC Matchmaster SPF 15 foundation
Sephora Cream blush*
Mac Studio Fix NC46 powder
Sephora light brown eye shadow
Transparent lip balm

Blue Touch:



Same base
Sephora light blue matte eye shadow*
Sephora glittery blue eye shadow*
Sephora brown lipstick

Pop Art:




Same base
Sephora bright yellow eye shadow*
Claire's Liquid eyeliner
Upper lip: Sephora red lip-gloss*
Bottom lip: Sephora orange lip-gloss*


Glossy Glossy:


Is it weird that I used transparent lip-gloss on my lids? You tell me!

I hope you liked this post!
Bisous, Brigitte


*All the makeup from Sephora comes from the SEPHORA Makeup Academy Palette from my Christmas gift guide! It's really convenient to have all your makeup in the same box, plus there is choice for every skin tone. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment